Follow Blog Via Email

follow Caitlin Jane's blog via email!

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Radiant



Spring is supposedly here, yet even this past week another winter storm hovered over us...However, I took advantage of one beautiful evening some days ago for a run outdoors, since I have been quite the coward, staying away from the cold as much as possible, trying to only run on the treadmill over the past several months...I was so glad I spent the time outside. When I'm out in God's world, His voice often seems so much nearer and clearer. 

It was not yet sunset, but the brilliance of the warm sun was waning, and shadows began to fall. It was that time in the evening when glistening reflections of the sun's glory touch down on branches and certain angles bring out the most beautiful patterns of light through the trees. There was one particular plant with dozens of its shining leaves reflecting such marvelous light.  Immediately my thoughts were taken to Psalm 34:5, "Those who look to Him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed."  I saw in those sparkling leaves' faces the light of the sun, beaming off, radiating and reflecting it's splendor in a vibrant golden-green hue.  I thought of my own face...do I reflect the SON's light and glory?  Do I look to Him and seek His face? 

Another one of my favorite verses is Psalm 105:4, calling us to "Look to the LORD and His strength; seek His face always." I was reminded by the Holy Spirit in that moment, with a gentle nudge, to seek His face only, to look to His light and salvation, and through gazing upward to Him, this promise holds true: My own face will be transformed by His radiance.  This is not the radiance of which the world speaks, with flawless Hollywood skin, masked and covered to hide any imperfection. No, this is the type of radiance that is uncovered, barren, unashamed, nothing hidden, because in the light of the Savior's grace and glory, all fears and flaws are stripped away. Our weakness and darkness and imperfections drive us to His face, where we find eternal radiance and perfection beaming down on us, in heavenly kindness.

I think of the balm of Gilead, healing our wounds and soothing our skin. I think of the message to the church in Laodicea: "You say, 'I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing,' and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked, I advise you to buy from Me gold refined by fire, that you may become rich, and white garments, that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and eye salve to anoint your eyes, that you may see." (Rev. 3:17,18)

I want to see with eyes that have been anointed and healed, to gaze into the Son of Glory and soak in His radiance today. I want to rest in awe of His splendor and majesty. I want to be like those golden-green leaves, blowing in the spring wind, light dancing on my face, reflecting the brilliance of the Son's light. I want to live a radiant life...and I'm learning that a radiant life is only one which is hidden in the life of Christ.